Monday, January 25, 2010

"An eye for an eye"


What a terrible phrase, an eye for an eye. Could you imagine if we lived in a world where people actually, fully acted on this phrase, like lived by it? OH, wait, we do live in a world where vengeance out weighs forgiveness. Sure, people do enough wrong that it's actually more practical to live a life of vengeance than forgiveness, but who ever said you had to formally punish all those who did wrong unto you? The word forgiveness is not used enough now a days, In my opinion, but it needs to be used more often. We use the words love and hate with such strong conviction daily, but never forgive, we never say "I forgive so and so for that time they did whatever to me". But we do usually say something along the lines of that statement, except with love or hate in placement of forgive. There are so many people in this world that I could say I "hate", with the heaviest heart, but I don't. See thats the thing, I don't hate those who have wronged me, I don't stay bitter and stand around with criss crossed arms complaining about the injustice I feel by life. And that's because it all boils down to one, single, tiny, little, minuscule thing, it's your choice. YES, that's it, just your choice, your choice to forgive or hold a heavy, cold heart.
I'm in no way pointing my finger down at you, from some high horse saying: "Forgive everyone for the wrongs they did, they aren't perfect and neither are you." No no, I include myself in everything I say, I am the same as you and vice versa, we're all made up of the same basic molecules. I am just trying to make you see, there are soo many people out in the world, tons upon tons of people just like you and I and everyone we know. That's millions of people. There are so many people in this world, that it will not hurt you to forgive the ones that just happened to maybe hoe you out last friday, y'know? So many people you could possibly hate; a lot more than that kid who back in 9th grade stole your girlfriend. So many scenarios, so many ways, so many chances...to forgive.
However, I am not saying that forgiving is the way to happiness and you should forgive everyone and just allow yourself to be the personal floor for all your friends to walk all over, NO DON'T DO THAT AT ALL. haha. Believe me, I forgive just about everyone, but it is for minor mistakes and small unsuitable quarrels. I do still have probably a hand full, just 5 people or less I will never forgive even if they walked up to me on fire, crying for forgiveness. Now, this doesn't make me a hypocrite because the wrongs that I have felt from these specific people go far deeper than any wounds I have ever felt. But my point is, don't forgive just anybody, obviously, it takes some looking at the situation and asking yourself, is this worth the anger? Is it worth the stress of avoidance and everything else? Most of the time, you will find that being pissed about whatever you are, isn't worth it and you will be a lot happier to say sorry and be able to shake that burden right off your shoulder.
Everything in your life comes down to one thing, you. You have the ability to be the happiest person in the world, or the most miserable person in the world. It all begins with your state of mind, so which do you wanna be today, and forever?
As Gandhi said "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". And right he was, we are all on the verge of being blind, because we care more about seeing someone else drown than helping them learn to swim. Forgive someone this week, even if the reason is the smallest in the world, say the words "I forgive you...." and most importantly, truly mean them. You will realize, those friends you "miss so much" are only a call away and one line from being your friends again.

3 comments:

  1. nice words shelby. you've got a lot of insight - more than most people i know. I would love to chat sometime ... for reals. also very nice eyeball drawing. that was my favorite thing to draw for a long time.
    keep it up and i'll keep reading / looking at your art.
    --
    Vince.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eyes are my favorite things by far to draw, especially on a large scale. And thank you, both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Shelby Kirchoff